The Myllypuro campus of Metropolia, Finland’s largest university of applied sciences, is under construction to be completed in 2018–2019.
Metropolia campus to reshape Myllypuro
The foundation stone of the Myllypuro campus of Metropolia University of Applied Sciences was laid in the autumn of 2016. Currently the foundations of a cover for the metro deck are under construction – part of the campus is built on metro train tracks. The work is largely carried out at nighttime in order not to disrupt metro service.
The frame of the campus building is under construction. The first section of the building will be completed in the summer of 2018 and the whole campus in August 2019.
The campus is built for Metropolia by the City of Helsinki. The project is divided into two separate contracts comprising construction and building technology. The main contractor is YIT Rakennus Oy.
Campus to increase Myllypuro occupants by half
The Myllypuro campus will house Metropolia’s operations in the fields of social services, health care, construction and real estate, as well as university management and centralized services. All in all, the campus will bring to Myllypuro 6,000 students and 500 employees. Myllypuro is today home to 12,000 people.
The campus will create an open network of learning in the area.
Myllypuro campus in a nutshell
- Total floor space 56,000 square metres, out of which 41,000 square metres in active use
- Developer: Kiinteistö Oy Myllypuron kampus / City of Helsinki
- Cost estimate: EUR 165 million
- Completion: July 2018 and August 2019
- Main architect: Rainer Mahlamäki. Architects: Lahdelma & Mahlamäki Architects and Lehto Peltonen Valkama Architects
Other construction projects in Myllypuro
- Residential construction continues in the western part of the area dedicated to wooden buildings; the eastern part is finished.
- 244 right-of-occupancy and ARA rental housing units are under construction in the power plant area east of Ring Road I. Sites for single-family houses are sold and leased according to demand.
- Two ARA rental apartment buildings and one right-of-occupancy residential building are under construction on Lallukantie, to be completed from the autumn of 2017 onwards. Sites for single-family houses are sold and leased according to demand.
- 91 right-of-occupancy units north of the Alakivenpuisto park will be completed in the spring of 2018.
- The Myllypuro school upper grades and comprehensive school will be expanded into one comprehensive school; construction will go underway in 2019.
- A large day care centre to replace Day Care Centre Neulanen will go under construction in 2018. A renovation of the Myllypuro service centre will go underway in 2018.
- Opportunities for building student housing in the vicinity of the Myllypuro campus are investigated.
- Planning of Karhunkaataja is underway. The area is being planned with housing for 3,600 residents along the future rapid-transit light rail line.
Read other news on the city site of Helsinki.